Alpha

 ALPHA


Hey, there today I will be going over some more of the development of my game which is now officially known as Woodland Terro I have decided. This week there was a lot of progress. The progress that makes the game feel like more of a whole game, and at this present state you can definitely see some improvements in the development. 


This week I wanted to focus on some major elements that are within the game and they are as follows:


  • Add music to the main menu

  • Add a border around the map so the player cannot leave and go out of the area

  • Expanding the map to its full size 

  • Add a stater building in with ProBuilder to make points of interest

  • Adding in Diary pages one for an introduction to the game, and one for a quick starter diary

  • Add footsteps and wind howling sounds in the game


All of these goals were achieved for this week and I am really happy with how everything is turning out. This week I continued with the video on how to make a horror game on youtube to help me in the development of my game specifically this video:




What’s really working well for me and especially this week was doing a lot of research on how to add pages pop-ups and freezing the game when you interact with an object. I found a unity asset that helped a lot on making the interaction with these diary pages a lot easier because the code was mostly done for me. I had to use photoshop to create the pages background and the text for these pages which was a bit of a pain because it took a lot longer than I wanted it to. 


What I found really difficult this week was making the footsteps sound work. Using a video tutorial on youtube kind of helped me but a lot of the tutorials used javascript which isn’t what we use so I had to improvise and try and find assets that came with the code I found a few assets on unity and brought them in then combined them together and it somehow worked out well. Here is the link to the tutorial that I tried to use:




Overall this week was really good I am happy with my progress so far and I think I would consider this to be a really good alpha, now its a lot more work to get to the beta.


For next week I would like to achieve:


  • Adding the rest of the Diaries into the game in different locations

  • Have the enemy designed and ready to be put into the game.

  • Have the enemy agro after a certain amount of pages picked up

  • Have it so the pages get collected after the player picks them up

  • Have it so as your loading into the game there is a screen explaining the controls 


Here is the progress of this week for the Alpha:


































Comments

  1. Glad you finally have a working title for your game, i think it suits your idea well and makes perfect sense in context.
    Good to see how much you've added in the past week, im sure the music will make your game feel much more immersive for your players.
    it was a good design decision to add in a world border for your game, if i may make a suggestion, i think it is important for your players to understand that they cannot leave the area but you don't want it to seem strange for the area to be just blocked off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam, Killian here. Your game is looking good. Love the idea of a slender man-esk game. I like the games title too, Woodland Terror sounds like an actual game title so good job there, it also give us enough information as to what the game is about and what genre of game it is. From looking at your previous blogs I can see you put in a lot of work for this project and it really shows, with the pictures that are posted on your blog. Music and noises in games makes the feel interactive, i.e. crows squawking can give an eerie vibe, so I'm glad you chose to include some. The border around the game I feel works well with this type of game, although if you wish to stick to the theme of horror and such, may I suggest use some fallen trees or a rusted fence as the border, just so it all fits. Other than that the game looks whopper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam! Your game looks extremely impressive and it looks like it should be sold on steam. Horror games are my absolute favorite and I love how you got inspiration from slender, I beat that game before and it was a really fun experience. Really glad that everything is working out the way you want it to. Are the sound effects of the ghost going to be extremely loud? Does your game come with a torch or anything? I can't wait to see the trailer for it because I can tell you spent a lot of time on it. - Anna Zurawska

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment